Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:57:58 -1000
From: Jason Coombs <jasonc@...ence.org>
To: Joel Eriksson <je-secfocus@...nux.com>
Cc: R Armiento <rar_bt@...iento.se>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Is predictable spam filtering a vulnerability?

Joel Eriksson wrote:
> it's not a "real" vulnerability that gives remote root to
> the attacker, I think it's beautiful though. :)

More likely I will ask your boss to approve payment of an invoice and
then send my own forged authorization.

This is a widespread vulnerability in the way that organizations
improperly trust computer communications.

The only solution is to implement some type of authentication for
important electronic communications, and we all know that new
vulnerabilities are exposed once there is an authentication mechanism.

To presume that electronic communications and stored communications are
trustworthy, the way that the parties to civil litigation generally do,
and the way that criminal courts nearly always do, creates endless
potential for very bad things to happen. We must always doubt by default
anything that is in electronic form.

With that in mind, remember that the attacker in the scenario presented
will only succeed once per target and then the target will adapt and
defend. In practice that is an acceptable risk, and the natural
condition of our exposure to computer vulnerabilities.

Where we really see harm come from improper computing practices on a
large scale is in court. As a society we will never be capable of
adapting to threats because there will always be new people who have not
previously suffered the consequences of each mode of attack.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs

Director of Forensic Services
PivX Solutions, Inc.