Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:04:55 -0400
From: krispykringle@...too.org
To: R Armiento <rar_bt@...iento.se>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Is predictable spam filtering a vulnerability?

Very interesting proposition, but I can't think of any real advantage here. In the hypothetical scenario, could the attacker not simply send an email purportedly from the boss to begin with saying, ``please forward the secret plans to attacker@...ackeddomain.com''? For that matter, isn't it likely that a recipient in such a poorly run system with such little regard for reading headers (and I don't delude myself that this is uncommon) would not notice if an attacker were to send an e-mail with a from address boss@...pany.tld but a reply-to of hax0r@...ealcreditcardnumbers.com? In other words, the specific ``exploit'' here is not the spam filter so much as the ignorance of the victim.

Anywho, it seems most decent spam filters have whitelisting; bigcheese@...pany.com is unlikely to filter out servileMBA@...pany.com, even if the e-mail does contain the key words. The spam filter is usually not applied to legitimate known-good e-mail addresses.

Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Dan