Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:03:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: RSnake <rsnake@...cking.com>
To: Chris Withers <chris@...plistix.co.uk>
Cc: Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net>,
   Harlan Carvey <keydet89@...oo.com>, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com,
   bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: USB risks (continued)

	Of course it's not.  That's just Microsoft's explination.  There's no
good reason, just a vague distinction.  My only point is that it isn't a
reliable attack vector, unlike an onboard CDROMs (the media, not the device
must be removable).  Here is how Microsoft defines it on their usbfaq page
(sorry, the links are broken, I just cut and pasted from
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usbfaq.mspx):

Q: What must I do to trigger Autorun on my USB storage device?
If you need to make a USB storage device that executes Autorun, the following
two conditions must both be true:

. Media must be marked as removable.

. The device can be set to either static or removable.

We associate the "removable" nature of a device with the bus that it resides
on. This means that a disk on an Integrated Device Electronics (IDE) or SCSI
bus would be considered fixed, whereas a disk on a USB or IEEE 1394 bus would
be regarded as removable by default. PnP uses a bit in the DEVICE_CAPABILITIES
structure to determine this. For more information, see the DEVICE_CAPABILITIES
Plug and Play Structure in the Windows DDK, located at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/kmarch/hh/kmarch/k112_22r6.asp.

The "removable" nature of media is a property of the device. For example, in
the case of a CD-ROM or a ZIP drive, the medium can be removed without the
device itself going away, but on the other hand the medium and the disk cannot
be separated on static storage PC cards. We obtain this information by using
the StorageDeviceProperty request. For more information, see the
STORAGE_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR Storage Structure in the Windows DDK, located at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/storage/hh/storage/k306_00qa.asp.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Chris Withers wrote:

| Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:59:11 +0100
| From: Chris Withers <chris@...plistix.co.uk>
| To: RSnake <rsnake@...cking.com>
| Cc: Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net>,
|      Harlan Carvey <keydet89@...oo.com>, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com,
|      bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
| Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Re: USB risks (continued)
|
| RSnake wrote:
| > writeable, but the drives aren't removeable on CDs.  That of course isn't true
| > if you have a USB drive, but I think part of the deal there is that you need to
| > install special drivers to even read USB CD drives.
|
| ...that's not true ;-)
|
| Chris
|
| --
| Simplistix - Content Management, Zope & Python Consulting
|             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

| Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
| Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

-R

privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to
this email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
expressly prohibited and may be unlawful.