Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 12:00:35 -0700
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: <security-bugtraq@...ketshark.net>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Can we prevent IE exploits a priori?

I have not seen evidence that either of these applications
prevents new exploits. If anyone is making this claim, they
should explain what technology they are using.

The required fix is simply setting a kill bit on the vulnerable
activex objects. Had this been done in September, none of these
attacks would have happened.

"Workaround for Jelmer's Adodb Bug"
Date: September 13, 2003
http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2003/Sep/0643.html

The easy to use, free fix for all of these issues:
http://www.eeye.com/html/research/alerts/AL20040610.html

Jelmer and Http-equiv have just noted and proven that hardening
the local zone or the "My Computer Zone" which Quick-Fix touts
is not a solution because the "Trusted Zone" remains... and is
required for Windows Update. [Whatever else they may do, I
do not know, I am just noting what they tout as "the only"
solution.]

This said you can very easily harden your "My Computer Zone"
for free. Just show it and make it available. That is a google
step away.

You also need to harden all of the IE Zones.

You should do this as part of any system hardening effort. Simply
use the restricted zone as an example. You must know how to
do this and understand the settings to probably harden any Windows
system. It is as critical as setting the password policies or
anything else. This does require some self-education beyond using
the Restricted Zone as reference.

If you mess up you will make it very difficult for users to
browse the web and they will manually change the settings and
likely end up getting spyware running automatically on their
systems -- or worse.

Again, hardening all of the zones in IE should be a central
part of any Windows hardening process. This means not just the
Local Zone, but all of the other Zones as well.

The only people that should not be setting the kill bit are
administrators that wish to continue to rely on vbs or wsh despite
the strong evidence that this will make the systems they own
vulnerable to potential attacks.

If you "really" want to ensure they will not get hit, put
on some AV and a good IPS. Ensure that the update subscription
is paid for.