Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:53:22 +0200 (MES)
From: Marc Schoenefeld <schonef@...-muenster.de>
To: Siva Subbu <sivasub23@...mail.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Covert Channels allow Cross-Site-Java in Microsoft VM

Hi Siva,

thanks for the remarks,
it seems that you did not open the window for the
second applet with Ctrl+N, instead you used a
second IE browser process which means that there is no
shared JVM and therefore no shared java system fields
which can be used as a covert channel.

I added a screenshot to the demonstration page to show
where to put the data, i must admit the form is lacking
some userfriendliness. Your experiences are included
in the updated text.

Marc

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Siva Subbu wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:04:47 -0700
> From: Siva Subbu <sivasub23@...mail.com>
> To: Marc Schoenefeld <schonef@...-muenster.de>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
> Subject: Re: Covert Channels allow Cross-Site-Java in Microsoft VM
>
> Hello Marc,
> I tried to reproduce this but I couldn't.
> I see a null pointer exception in the Java Console and I don't get the
> contents in Applet B which were put in Applet A.
> I get this error
> Magath
> Exception occurred during event dispatching:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at FNMAP.getContentTypeFor
>  at CovAppletFNMap$MyButtonListener.actionPerformed
>  at java/awt/Button.processActionEvent
>  at java/awt/Button.processEvent
>  at java/awt/Component.dispatchEventImpl
>  at java/awt/Component.dispatchEvent