Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 03:35:16 +1000
From: tinysofa Security Team <security@...ysofa.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: TSSA-2004-014 - samba

                                             _
                         |_ .  _      _  _  (_  _
                         |_ | | ) \/ _) (_) |  (_|
                                  /

                       Security  Advisory  #2004-014

 Package name:      samba
 Date:              2004-07-23
 Affected versions: tinysofa enterprise server 1.0

 Security Fixes
 ==============

 Description
 -----------

  samba:
  * Samba [0] is an Open Source/Free Software suite that provides seamless
    file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients.

  [Issue #1]

    The internal routine used by the Samba Web Administration Tool (SWAT
    v3.0.2 and later) to decode the base64 data during HTTP basic
    authentication is subject to a buffer overrun caused by an invalid
    base64 character.

    This same code is used internally to decode the sambaMungedDial
    attribute value when using the ldapsam passdb backend.

    Sites using an LDAP directory service with Samba are strongly encouraged
    to verify that the DIT only allows write access to sambaSamAccount
    attributes by a sufficiently authorized user.

    This problem has been assigned the name CAN-2004-0600 [1] by the
    Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) project, and was first
    reported by Evgeny Demidov.

  [Issue #2]

    A buffer overrun has been located in the code used to support
    the 'mangling method = hash' smb.conf option. The default setting
    for this parameter is 'mangling method = hash2' and therefore a
    default Samba configuration is not vulnerable.

    This problem has been assigned the name CAN-2004-0686 [2] by the
    Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) project.