Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:29:26 -0700
From: "Israel Torres" <israel.torres@...litronic.com>
To: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev@...ctriccat.co.uk>,
   "Toomas Soome" <Toomas.Soome@...rolink.ee>, <lionel.ferette@...net.be>
Cc: <vuln@...view.com>, <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>,
   <bugtraq@...URITYFOCUS.COM>, <israel.torres@...litronic.com>
Subject: RE: Clear text password exposure in Datakey's tokens and smartcards

Simply by exposing "another" vulnerability in a "secure" system allows judgement to be made on what type of hardware is necessary for the "secure system" (i.e. will this system serve as a public kiosk, or will this system be at the user's bidding?). Vulnerabilities should be kept to a minimum and narrow the choice of attack vectors an attacker may choose from when attempting to compromise a target system. Once a system is compromised and rooted there is little that can prevent the attacker from collecting what they are searching for (be it pins, passwords, source code, etc) before they vanish into the darkness.

Israel Torres