Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:01:07 -0500
From: Bart.Lansing@...ls.com
To: "Lyal Collins" <lyalc@...mail.com.au>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com,
   full-disclosure-admin@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: RE: Clear text password exposure in	Datakey's	tokens and
 smartcards

Why yes Lyal, it is...

Mea culpa...but:

TCO is not as simple as you lay it out for your smartcard either.  We were
apples-to-apples there for a bit...but, let's drive into your purported
TCO costs on the smartcard there, shall we?  First, you seem to have no
back-end administration (this is a self-maintained model you have? please
explain how that works) to deal with lost cards, forgotten PINs,
failed/trashed hardware, etc.  Additionally, in any reasonably sized
enterprise, you'll need resources allocated to handle new hires, machine
moves, upgrades, etc.  If you intend to cost-burden the existing staff
that's fine...but it's still there.  System integration? You're telling me
your smartcard system has none?  Unless you just have your system doing
authentications at boot, you most certainly do have intergration.  If you
intend to secure some environments more than others, like, at the
application level, you have the same integration issues with either system
(and probably worse with yours, as RSA has been banging around at this a
long time, and the list of apps that RSA can bolt onto is extensive)...so
let's call that a wash too.

So let's jack your per-seat price up accordingly, ok?  But you know, tell
you what, let's leave your TCO where it is and bear in mind that I was
responding to a $1000/seat number from you, not the $210 + consultant you
just tossed back. (Sorry if this sounds sarcastic, but you've changed the
parameters and ommited factors as important to the TCO as I did, and then
lowered your number just to sound more cost-effective...not cricket, old
boy)

Now, let's take a look at a typical RSA solution, street prices, for 250
users, and remember that the cost scales down from here:

server software (w/24x7 support), about $20,000 US
server hardware (trivial, but let's toss a couple of blades at it just for
fun) $10,000 US
Cards (generous here, very) @ $70.00 US X 250 = $17,500 US

I'm going to burden my existing staff with back-end support and admin,
just like you did.  So, we have a per-seat, fully burdened TCO of
$190/seat

In a mobile workforce there are additional benefits as well, Lyal...like
not having laptop users lug around a card reader that they have to a)
remember, and b) plug in every time they want to use the PC.  You may well
respond by saying that's trivial...but then, you aren't the user, he won't
say that.  The easier we can make his use of secure products and systems
the more likely he is to use them, would you agree?

Bart Lansing
Manager, Desktop Services
Kohl's IT