Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:12:24 +0200
From: Radoslav Dejanović <radoslav.dejanovic@...us.hr>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: SuSE Linux K-Menu YAST Control Center Priviledge Escalation Vulnerability

On Friday 06 August 2004 04:45, Jordan Pilat wrote:
> 'Menus' tab of the K menu panel preferences),
> however, one can not only access, but make changes to
> the options in the YAST control center without having
> to authenticate as root.

Just tried it, it seems that it allows you just to make changes that are
allowed to unprivileged user; modules that require authentication will
fail at some point (writing to /etc, installing or removing software,
enabling/disabling services...). I have tested online update, add/remove
software, Samba and firewall and they all failed. It does pose some risk,
however, for it might allow unprivileged user to take a look at some data
that should be hidden from the user (for example, you can look at firewall
settings but can't make changes).

On the other hand, you can start yast from console with -firewall switch
and have a peek at the settings (still can't make changes), so this isn't
KDE fault but flaw in yast itself. It would be wise to add some paranoia
to yast so it won't show sensitive data to unprivileged user.

--
Radoslav Dejanović
Operacijski sustavi d.o.o.