Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:54:06 -0700
From: Alex Keller <alkeller@...u.edu>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: New google's top query?

Re: New google's top query?

this "hack" (really a numrange search) was covered at DEFCON12
(http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-12/dc-12-index.html) and widely known
before it was publicized by Johnny Long (http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/)
during his talk at the conference (to his credit, he did NOT release the
exact syntax BTW). following that search now will yield little sensitive
info, as most of the affected sites have removed the pages that
demonstrated this security breach. Google is well aware of the malicious
activity that can be aided with their search engine....but they are in a
bit of a predicament between notions of security and freedom; a common
juxtaposition in politics, social order, and network security.

this forum at Johnny's site has plenty more search "hacks":
http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/index.php?module=prodreviews

for further investigation and vulnerability testing, check out
Foundstone's SiteDigger:
http://www.foundstone.com/index.htm?subnav=resources/navigation.htm&subcontent=/resources/s3i_tools.htm

Athena is another powerful Google digging tool that can expose search
vulnerabilities; although i can't seem to find a working download site
right now. you can grab the entire DEFCON12 iso (457MB) at:
http://130.212.20.4/admin/defcon/defcon12.iso
Athena can be found in the directory "Long".

happy Google hunting...oh yeah, don't be an idiot and use this info for
evil.

-alex

other