Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:58:08 -0500
From: john.courcoul@....com
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: Andy Cuff <lists@...uritywizardry.com>
Subject: Re: Netscape Navigator 7.2  failure to isolate browser tabs (was Re: Computer Network Defence Vulnerability Alert State)

Might as well try and be useful with this and see what other Mac browsers get bitten by this bug. Do note that all my tests have been done on MacOS X 10.3.5, with the latest Java 1.4.2 Update 1 and Developer packages installed.

Netscape Navigator 7.2	-  Vulnerable (subject of the original mail)
Netscape Navigator 7.1	-  Vulnerable (buggy here too)
Netscape Navigator 7.0.2 -  NOT vulnerable (Amazing ! Ain't we supposed to be improving over time ?)

Mozilla 1.7.2			-  Vulnerable (figures; Navigator 7.2 is based on this)
Firefox 0.9.3			-  Vulnerable (Mozilla's kid brother, limps from same foot...)
Camino 0.8.1			-  NOT vulnerable (some residue might appear on the next tab, but applet is inoperative)

Opera 7.5.4			-  NOT vulnerable (does not have tabbed browsing)
iCab 2.9.8			        -  NOT vulnerable (plus, the page did not load correctly)
OmniWeb 5.0.1		        -  NOT vulnerable
MSIE 5.2.3			        -  NOT vulnerable (does not have tabbed browsing)

Interesting, how the bug crept into the Netscape/Mozilla codebase after 7.0.2 and has remained there ever since.

Cheers,

J. Courcoul

On Thursday, August 26, 2004, at 05:32PM, <john.courcoul@....com> wrote:

>Didn't think I'd ever get the chance to report some form of vulnerability,  but I did. Minor, granted, but a bug nonetheless.
>
>Use the latest browser from Netscape, Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2, set up for tabbed browsing, on a MacOS X 10.3.5 platform with all the latest patches. Open Andy Cuff's "radar" page in the first tab: it sets up two scrolling displays (Security News and Vulnerabilities) on the left side of the window and a date ticker in the middle, under  "Operational Picture". Open a new tab, which should be completely independent and allow you to browse another site without interference. Not a chance: the scrolling displays and the date ticker promptly highjack the new pane and display their info on it, on top of any page you should happen to load there. And the scrollers are "live" in whatever tab they have highjacked: click on any of the items they are displaying, and the corresponding page gets loaded on the highjacked tab, NOT on the original "radar" tab. Only until you close the "radar" tab do t
 he scrollers and ticker go away in all other tabs.