Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:50:11 +0300
From: "Angelidis, Fotis(NSASOUDABAY)" <AngelidisF@....souda.navy.mil>
To: "'Polazzo Justin'" <Justin.Polazzo@...ilities.gatech.edu>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Microsoft GDIPlus.DLL JPEG Parsing Engine Buffer Overflow

-----Original Message-----
From: Polazzo Justin [mailto:Justin.Polazzo@...ilities.gatech.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 6:24 PM
To: Nick D.; bugtraq@...urityfocus.com

>Ps: ARRRgh!!
>
>P.p.s: Am I missing the all in one patch? Is the GDI+ Detection Tool
>available as download? Will the GDI detection tool search through non-ms
>sw?

Actually the GDI+ Detection Tool comes before the actual update takes place
in Windows Update. If you visit windowsupdate.com and select the patch for
downloading, the tool is being downloaded first and if it finds any
vulnerable versions of the file, it downloads the updates respectively.

I cannot guarantee that it will search through non-ms software though,
however I'm not sure if the specific vulnerability affects non-ms products
in the first place. To the best of my knowledge it has to do with the JPEG
parsing engine in certain Microsoft products which are mentioned in the
advisory page :)