Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:07:17 -0400
From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@....com>
To: "Michael Wilson, Contractor" <mwwilson@...o.hpc.mil>
Cc: Chris Norton <kicktd_list@...mail.com>,
   Michael Scheidell <scheidell@...nap.net>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
   vulnwatch@...nwatch.org, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com,
   vuln@...urity-corporation.com, security-alert@...tin.ibm.com,
   cert@...ibm.com
Subject: Re: Vulnerability in IBM Windows XP: default hidden Administrator account allows local Administrator access

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 03:08:34PM -0500, Michael Wilson, Contractor said:

> It is most likely the Vendor Install Customization that has caused this
> issue, as true enough, most vendor installs force you to pick an
> administrator password before using the system.  If the account is hidden,
> then it is definitely IBM's doing as I have never seen a Windows install
> where the administrator account could not be seen under the accounts tab.

Averatec laptop installs of XP Home have it hidden; you have to boot in
Safe Mode to add a password.

The documentation that specifies this is a Microsoft product, so I
suspect it's the same with other installs of Home, but I have only left
the packaged install of XP Home on one machine ever, so I am not at all
sure of this.

--
Shawn McMahon      | Let's set the record straight. There is no argument
EIV Consulting     | over the choice between peace and war, but there is