Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:04:34 -0500
From: "Dehner, Benjamin T." <Ben.Dehner@...mont.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: New whitepaper "The Phishing Guide"

I think if major vendors used signed emails, it would be a good step.
However, I'm not sure in the long run it will do much good.

First, the real problem isn't technical, it's educational.  Most users
sophisticated enough to download a public key, verify the fingerprint, and
install it on their keyring aren't going to be fooled by phishing attacks
anyway.

Second, as far as I know, there is no standard for encryption software.
Signing something with, say, PGP doesn't do a blind bit of good unless the
recipient has gone to the bother of downloading and installing PGP on their
system.  (See above.)  And if you haven't installed PGP, seeing the BEGIN
PGP SIGNED MESSAGE verbage on an email may give a false sense of security
when the message may have been signed by an invalid key, or may not have
been signed at all and the enclosed "signature" is random garbage.

Third, I can see a new variant of the phishing attack.  "WARNING:  OUR
SECURITY HAS BEEN COMPROMISED.  PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO ADD OUR
NEW SECURITY CERTIFICATE TO YOUR KEYRING AND RE-VERIFY YOUR PERSONAL
INFORMATION".   (This also touches on the subject of key revokations, but
I'll leave that alone for now.)

Ben