Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:17:45 -0500
From: Brian Kirkbride <brian@...adtime.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Diebold Global Election Management System (GEMS) Backdoor Account

I'm a lurker myself but am keenly interested in the problem.  I have to agree 100% with Ryan's statement.  This is a point that few people make in this argument, because the discussion has been spun to focus on _proving_ some sort of malicious intent on Diebold's part.  I disagree with that fundamental statement of the argument.  These people have demonstrated that they are ignoring all of the "right" ways to perform their task (both technically and ethically) and have repeatedly used press releases and legal maneuver to avoid addressing the issues people have with their software.

This sort of behaviour is commonplace when it comes to corporations because it is usually less painful financially than doing what is right.  But I cannot agree more strongly with the point that this particular service is one that should be performed without profit as the highest motive.  For those at Diebold that cry foul at those of us that feel the election is more important than their quarterly statement, I humbly suggest that they should choose a less vital service to bring to market.  Imagine a company complaining that reliable medical systems would be too costly to implement and would affect their bottom line.  There is a greater standard to uphold.

- Brian Kirkbride