Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:16:09 -0500
From: Mike DeMaria <mdemaria@....com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Cleartext SMB passwords in Novell Desktop Linux using KDE

Exploit: When creating a symbolic link to a file or folder located on a
SMB network share using KDE, the user's name and password are displayed
in clear text on the desktop.  The login name and password are also in
the link file's meta data in addition to the actual filename itself.

Systems affected: Novell Desktop Linux 9 when using KDE (release
3.2.1).  Other distributions with KDE may be affected as well.  I
couldn't reproduce this on Fedora Core 3.  I tried performing the same
action on Novell Desktop Linux 9 with Gnome, but the GUI wouldn't let
me create a symbolic link to a shared file/folder.  I'm not sure if
other distributions are affected.

may be able to read the meta data or file name, thus disclosing a
user's password.  Anyone looking over your shoulder while or after
performing this action will be able to see your password.

Temporary workaround: Don't create symbolic links to networked files
and folders if using KDE.  The correct thing for the system to do is
not put the username and password information in the filename, meta
data or URL field.  These should either be stored in an encrypted key
repository (like Apple's Keychain) or requested every time the user
accesses the network share.

Vendor status: Contact with Novell occurred on November 16, 2004.
Vendor claims a fix should be out soon.

Steps to perform the exploit:
Install NLD with KDE (either default to KDE or choose to install both
KDE and Gnome)
Log in via KDE.
Open Network Browser.
Open Windows Network.
Find an SMB Windows share.
Authenticate to the share.
Left click on a file or folder, drag it to the desktop, select "Link
Here".
A file will be created on the desktop.

File name is:
smb://username:password@...ver/path/to/file

It puts the username and password both in clear text on the desktop, in
plain site of everyone.  These also appear in the URL and Meta Info
property location.

When I try doing that in Gnome, I get a message "Error 'Unsupported
operation' while creating a link to smb://server/path/to/file" and it
doesn't create the link.