Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:14:47 -0800
From: Dragos Ruiu <dr@....net>
To: tcpdump-workers@...ts.tcpdump.org
Cc: misc@...nbsd.org, security@...ebsd.org, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: What's "may have exploitable buffer overflows" mean in tcpdump?

WARNING: The SMB printer may have exploitable buffer overflows!!!

That's what the ./configure script on tcpdump-current warns me about
(re SMB printer).  What exactly does this warning message mean?
If there are overflows, they should be fixed. If they are unfixed the
code should be removed.

If the problem is not identified fully, perhaps a bunch of smart people
had better start auditing the code. If the intent of this message is to
start getting people to look at the code then I think an advisory
would be a better way to do this.

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Vancouver, Canada	May 4-6 2005  http://cansecwest.com