Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:47:33 -0500
From: jkowall <jkowall@...cking.net>
To: Carey Heck <carey.heck@...il.com>
Cc: pen-test@...urityfocus.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Data Mining for PIX Firewall Logs

First you will have to log the data via syslog.  I reccomend kiwi syslog
daemon for windows.  The pro version is cheap and it can do compression,
rotation, and filtering.  It can also do email based alerting.
Syslog-ng for*NIX is by far the most extensable and advanced daemon for
*NIX.

Now that you have the files, I would reccomend the following products:

http://www.sawmill.net/
Sawmill not only processes PIX easily, but it can also process anything
from sendmail, to IIS logs.  Its a great tool.  Well priced, and
processes hundreds and hundreds of different logfiles.

http://www.surfstats.com/sla_pro.asp
Decent product, haven't used it much

http://www.softland.com.ar/info/eiqnetworks/firewallan/submain.htm
Expensive last time I looked, never used it.

http://tud.at/programm/fwanalog/
Free logfile processor, the reports are pretty basic.

http://perlmonks.thepen.com/123707.html
Script to monitor a log and page/email.

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=21&MMN_position=21:21
Never used this one/

There are a couple other ones too, but these are some of the main ones.

good luck, email with any additional questions.

-jk