Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:30:49 +1100
From: Michael Silk <michaelsilk@...il.com>
To: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta@...com>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: SHA-1 broken

Michael,

 But wouldn't it render a login-based hashing system resistant to the
current hashing problems if it is implemented something like:

 --
 result = hashFunc1( input + hashFunc1(input) + salt )
 //

 We can see that the input to the functions is the same, so although a
collision could be found within one or the other but it would not give
the correct result unless the hashFunc1( foo ) = hashFunc2( foo )
where foo is the magical input that gives the same result as "bar"
(the initial password).

-- Michael