Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:57:38 -0500 (EST)
From: devnull@...ents.Montreal.QC.CA
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: 7a69Adv#22 - UNIX unzip keep setuid and setgid files

[As usual when I write here, the header From: is a black hole.  Use the
address in the signature to actually reach me.]

>> this only works if the user un-zipping the file is already root.
>> otherwise it creates an "sh" binary which is setuid to the user who
>> unzipped the file.
> If your homedir is worldreadable, which is pretty common practice the
> other user can run the shell and get your useraccount.

This is confusing readable with executable.

If a directory is readable, anyone can find out the names of the things
in it.  If it's executable, anyone who knows a thing's name there can
get to the thing.

Read and execute access usually go together on directories, but they
don't have to.  (A +r-x directory is of doubtful use.  But -r+x is
comparatively useful.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse@...ents.montreal.qc.ca