Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:58:41 +1300
From: "Daniel Cross" <dcross@...sh.co.nz>
To: Arian.Evans@...hnetsecurity.com, jono@...workcommand.com,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, dejan@...aja.com
Subject: RE: Windows Server 2003 and XP SP2 LAND attack vulnerability

Thats intersting.
I haven't tested my 2k3 box yet, but have tested against XP SP1
(Pentium 4 2.6G).
I didn't get the 100% load on the CPU that others have reported, but
did get symptoms.
I tried ports 135, 139 and 445.
When I tried ports 135 and 139 I saw the average CPU load on the
target machine average 50-60%.
When I tried port 445 I saw the average load become 60-70%.
Some tweaking of packet sizes and intervals gave me an average of
about 75% load with the occasional spike upto 90%.

The machine was still completely usable.

The machine wasn't running any app's so I figured this could be the
cause. I am still yet to try it with a load already running.

However, what you're seeing could possibly account for this, and am
now eager to try it on my 2k3 machine.

I used hping to send the packets, as below (The interval time didn't
make too much differance (a second was fine), and the data size
really didn't make much differance at all - infact it was pretty much
the same with a straight SYN packet):

hping2 192.168.1.5 -s 445 -d 445 -a 192.168.1.5 -i u55 -d 0x15