Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:27:09 +0100
From: Riccardo Murri <murri@...m.uniroma1.it>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: Paul Smith <paullocal@...s.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Thoughts and a possible solution on homograph attacks

[Paul Smith, Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:42:47AM +0000]
> My proposal would be:
>
> 1) IDNs only allowed on ccTLDs (not gTLDs). After all , the whole point of
> IDNs is to have a domain name in the locally readable script to target
> people within your own region/nation/etc. gTLDs are to have domains to
> target people globally. I see no purpose (other than vanity) to having an
> IDN in a gTLD .
>
> 2) IDNs should only be allowed to consist of a single character set - be
> that Latin, Western European, Japanese, Cyrillic etc.
>
> 3) A ccTLD should only allow IDNs in their local character set(s). So, you
> couldn't have a cyrillic IDN on a .us domain, and you couldn't have a greek
> IDN on a .ru domain.
>
> (4) A domain registry's DRS system should take into account
> homograph/pseudograph attacks.
>
> (5) Possibly any domains containing only characters which are graphically
> equivalent to latin characters should not be allowed, but I'm not sure of
> this one.

I would rather suggest that the string comparison function used in IDN
takes "homograph caracters"[1] into account: just like the current DNS
considers 'a' == 'A', the IDN DNS should consider "LATIN SMALL LETTER
a" == "CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER a" == "CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER A" ==
"GREEK CAPITAL LETTER A"[2], and similarly for the other homograph chars.

A true fix in this way cannot be implemented browser-side, but rather
in the IDN implementation; still, one can make the browser put the IDN
names in a *canonical form* using this equivalence relation: that is,
"CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER a" in a hostname is always sent on the wire as
a "LATIN SMALL LETTER a".

Riccardo

[1] or whatever the correct term for these is...

[2] so, the transitive closure of the (uppercase == lowercase) and the
homograph equivalence relation implies for instance "LATIN CAPITAL
LETTER A" == "GREEK SMAL LETTER \alpha", which are not homograph, but
I see less harm in this than in the current IDN.

--
Riccardo Murri
EGRID Project

Strada Costiera, 11