Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:18:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Paul Laudanski <zx@...tlecops.com>
To: "Jay D. Dyson" <jdyson@...achery.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	news@...uriteam.com
Subject: Re: Social Engineering: You Have Been A Victim

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

> >> More: http://castlecops.com/article-5807-nested-0-0.html
> >
> > gov workers do [not] even need to be bribed with chocolate;
> >
> > http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10708?ref=rss

Another example:

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/245

>   	It is considered socially unacceptable to be unhelpful to others,
> even strangers over the phone.  Hell, some people can't even tell
> telemarketers to buzz off so they have to buy an electronic device to do
> it for them.

A friend of mine told me a story of how he'd sell something back to the
telemarketer first before hearing about their offer.  So I tried it myself
a couple times, and the response is amazing.  One person had such a
gargantuan laugh, another just hung up.  Meeting them at their own level?

The do not call list was coming into effect at that time, and
telemarketers didn't take "no" for an answer.  But no one ever trains them
to deal with "ok I'll hear you out, but first, are you interesting in
buying product X from me?".

--
Sincerely,

Paul Laudanski .. Computer Cops, LLC.