Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:15:37 -0800
From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid@...a.edu>
To: "'Frank Bures'" <lisfrank@...m.toronto.edu>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: DoS of LAN via D-Link switches

  This is a risk with any of the new small switches that automatically
sense when a port needs a crossover.
  If the switch is running Spanning Tree, it should shut down the
interface at one end of the cable.  (If the switch *can't* run Spanning
Tree, it doesn't belong in a network with other switches.  If it can,
*whoever turned it off* should be denied further access to that network.)

  A malicious person with sufficiently administrative access
can create this effect on almost any switch.  At worst, D-Link may
have made it absurdly easy for anyone with merely physical access to
do it.

David Gillett

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=Frank+Bures