Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:59:30 -0700
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@...unix.com>
To: steven@...ebug.org
Cc: incidents@...urityfocus.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Discovering and Stopping Phishing/Scam Attacks

I think that this will just force the phishers to host their own images.
As such, this approach is not very interesting unless there actually is
a problem for the phishers in hosting their own images. The phishers
could even host their own images on virtual domains that are typo-alike
to the legitimate domain name.

For me personally, I would not notice the difference, as I already have
my mail client configured to not load referenced images, because
spammers already use hits on their hosted images as web bugs to detect
working e-mails, and that just brings more spam down on your head. If
you are loading images referenced in e-mails, you probably want to
figure out how to turn that off.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.