Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:19:26 -0400
From: David Riley <oscar@...-rileys.net>
To: Gilbert Verdian <gverdian@...research.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, vuln-dev@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Safari HTTPS Overflow

I don't think this is an overflow.  According to gdb, the spin lock
from CFSocketEnableCallBacks is crashing.  Backtracing to the call of
CFSocketEnableCallBacks, I see that the two parameters (a CFSocket
pointer and a set of binary flags, respectively) are:

r3             0x0      0
r4             0x9      9

Thus CFSocketEnableCallBacks is being passed a NULL pointer (and, for
what it's worth, the flags are kCFSocketReadCallBack and
kCFSocketWriteCallBack).  Why it crashes in the spinlock, I'm not sure,
but I imagine it might have to do with gdb not behaving nicely with
threads.

In any case, since I don't see any registers getting overwritten with
either 0x41 or 0x61 (since Safari converts it to lowercase), I don't
really see an overflow.  It's a crash which you might want to report to
Apple, but it seems like it's probably just a case of dereferencing a
NULL pointer.

I think what's happening is that some handler somewhere for the URL is
seeing an overly large buffer and rejects it with a NULL pointer
somewhere for the socket which isn't checked for appropriately.

Thanks,
	David