Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:00:11 -0400
From: Robert Perriero <ssgsa@...l.montclair.edu>
To: class <ad@...ss101.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Sophos Antivirus Advisory

On the topic of binary obfuscation, you might be interested in this
tool. Morphine, http://hxdef.czweb.org/download/Morphine27.zip , which I
understand was designed by the HackerDefender rootkit designer(s). The
general purpose is to render a binary unrecognizable to current anti-
virus engines without affecting the execution capability of the program.
Keep in mind that the tool was designed with malicious intent for use
with a rootkit, and as such, should only be trusted as far as you can
throw an elephant. Its an interesting concept though, one which must
most definitely be forcing anti-virus companies to come up with new
detection methods which don't rely solely on checksumming of files.

Robert Perriero
Montclair State University