Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:18:52 -0700
From: Skip Carter <skip@...geta.com>
To: Aviram Jenik <aviram@...ondsecurity.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Publishing exploit code - what is it good for

> I recently had a discussion about the concept of full disclosure with one of
> the top security analysts in a well-known analyst firm. Their claim was that
> companies that release exploit code (like us, but this is also relevant for
> bugtraq, full disclosure, and several security research firms) put users at
> risks while those at risk gain nothing from the release of the exploit.

> reluctant. Their claim was that based on their own work experience, a
> security administrator does not have a need for the exploit code itself, and
> the vendor information is enough. The analyst was willing to reconsider their

I think its a question of what the role of the 'security administrator' is within
the enterprise.  If their job is primarily threat evaluation and appropriate
patching/updating in response, then I agree that the publication of an exploit
is not very helpful.  If, however, the job is firewall/IDS management or
incident investigation, then having access to actual exploit code is
extremely valuable to have.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter           Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Network Security Services   email: skip@...geta.net