Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:45:01 +0100
From: Anton Ivanov <arivanov@...segv.cx>
To: "\"Zow\" Terry Brugger" <zow@...l.gov>
Cc: Chiaki <ishikawa@...rim.or.jp>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	"Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@...bsd.org>
Subject: Re: /dev/random is probably not

Hi List,

I think that the question here is different.

Why anyone is using the old entropy based RNG at all on modern commodity
hardware?

It is good if you know that your hardware operates in a manner which
provides good entropy and functions according to the RNG design. If the
platform does not do this, you might as well stay with the hardware
implementation present in most off the shelf hardware.

Via (from Nehemia core and upwards) - on CPU crypto quality RNG.

Intel - All chipsets from 82x onwards have a hardware RNG. It is thermal
noise based which is still likely to be better then deterministic IRQ
feeds from network and modern disks.

AMD - All chipsets in the 76x series have hardware RNG.

Others - well... Not all silicon is created equal I am afraid.

A.

--
La Châtelier's Law:

          If some stress is brought to bear on a system in equilibrium,
the equilibrium is displaced in the direction which tends to undo the
effect of the stress.