Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:22:09 -0500
From: Indigo Haze <hazer@...pshot.net>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: On classifying attacks

Just my $0.02 on the topic, but there are multiple kinds of "remote
exploits"

There's remote-active, where the exploit is carried out against a system
actively (either manually or via an automated process), such as your
example for BIND and various worms vs Windows (CodeRed, Nimda, MSBlast,
etc).

There's remote-accessible, where the exploit isn't activated directly
from remote, but is still manipulated via remote, such as your EMail
trojan example. If I couldn't get the code from remote on to the system,
there would be no exploit. The initial "remote-active" exploit in this
case would be the social engineering aspect of getting the user to open
the email I sent.

Then you get into "local exploits" which require direct (and sometimes
physical) access to the device in question. Could I have walked up and
downloaded the trojan in question and manually executed it? Sure.
Anything in the 'remote-accessible' region would be repeatable as a
local exploit while not everything in 'remote-active' could be.

The answer ultimately is: There's a LOT of gray out here... Exploits are
exploits. They're generally all bad and need to be handled properly when
encountered.