Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:40:34 +0100
From: "David Litchfield" <davidl@...software.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Oracle and setting the record straight

Hey all,
I don't know whether this helps serve any purpose or not, other than the
vent some of my own frustrations; however...

In the wake of the release of Alex Kornbrust's details on some Oracle flaws
there has been some discussion in various places about when I supposedly did
the same thing last year at Blackhat - i.e. release information on Oracle
bugs in the absence of a vendor supplied patch.

For the record, I did _not_ do this.

So, setting the record straight: I was due to present a talk that centered
around a batch of Oracle vulnerabilities at Blackhat last year. I gave
Oracle a heads up and explained that I intended to do so and questioned
whether the patches would be ready. On the day of the talk I was informed by
Oracle that the patches were not ready and so when I got up on the stage I
proceeeded to tell everyone exactly why I could no longer do the talk. i.e.
I can't do the talk because Oracle failed to patch the problems I was going
to talk about.

I did not discuss in any form or fashion the actual bugs.

Cheers and apologies to those who really don't care,
David Litchfield
NGSSoftware
http://www.ngssoftware.com/