Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:46:16 +1000 (EST)
From: Tim Nelson <tim.nelson@...alive.biz>
To: Forte Systems - Iosif Peterfi <toto@...tesys.ro>
Cc: 'Crispin Cowan' <crispin@...ell.com>,
	'Technica Forensis' <forensis.technica@...il.com>,
	"'Black, Michael'" <black@...excorp.com>,
	'James Longstreet' <jlongs2@....edu>,
	'Derek Martin' <code@...zashack.org>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: On classifying attacks

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Forte Systems - Iosif Peterfi wrote:

> Ok, so let's split them like this:
>
> 1. Simple
>  1.1 Remote
>  1.2 Local
> 2. Compound
>  2.1 Social engineered
>  2.2 Technical
>  2.3 Local

 	I prefer something just as simple, but maybe more flexible:
1.	Interaction level
 	i)	Automatic (no victim action required)
 	ii)	Semi-Automatic (victim performs some normally safe action,
 		ie. opening e-mail, or a cron job runs)
 	iii)	Manual (victim is socially engineered into performing
 		su -c 'rm -rf /' or some such stupid thing)
2.	Target
 	i)	Access
 	ii)	Elevation (Privilege elevation)

 	For all attacks, select one item from section 1, and one from
section 2.

 	Traditional remote attacks are Automatic Access attacks.
Traditional local attacks are Automatic Elevation attacks.  E-mail trojans
are Semi-Automatic or Manual Access attacks.

Daniel Weber wrote:
> I've seen a lot of classification schemes proposed on Bugtraq in the
> intervening years, some of them quite good.  (Search the archives for
> "taxonomy" or "classification".)  But unless they are -very- simple to
> use, they won't be taken up by the community.  If you can come up with
> a single word that imputes the concept of "malicious data that I can
> easily get onto the victim's machine and in front of the victim's
> eyes but requires him to run it," that would be a great step forward.

 	Hmm.  Methinks I need to use more hyphens; Semi-Automatic-Access
attack :).

 	HTH,

--
Kind Regards,

Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

P: 03 9934 0888
F: 03 9934 0899
E: tim.nelson@...alive.biz
W: www.webalive.biz

WebAlive Technologies
Level 1, Innovation Building
Digital Harbour
1010 La Trobe Street
Docklands Melbourne VIC 3008

This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If
you receive it in error, please let us know by reply email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. This email is also subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written consent of the copyright owner.

Emails may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. We give no
warranties in relation to these matters. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately.