Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:42:03 -0700
From: "Robert Thompson Jr." <rthompson@...umbiabank.com>
To: "Steve Scherf" <bugtraq@...nsoft.com>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Serious flaw in Linksys wireless AP password security

When upgrading my WRT54GS (v 1.0) router to the 4.50.6 and 4.70.6
firmwares, I experienced no such authentication problems.

If the router was set wide open, I could connect without authentication.

As soon as I specified WPA-PSK on the router, in order for me to connect
via the NIC I absolutely had to have the WZC configured for WPA-PSK
(TKIP or AES accordingly) and HAD to have the correct password
configured as well.  (And the SSID of course...)

If the proper settings were not configured into the WZC after enabling
WPA-PSK, I was not able to connect to the router.

I am certain of these details as I was trying to get the WPA2 feature to
work on my NIC that didn't have WPA2 certified drivers at the time.  I
ended up trying every damned near possible configuration before
realizing that it was my drivers that weren't working on my NIC before
having to settle with just WPA until Linksys updated their drivers on
their website...

Though, since we are on the subject of the WRT54GS router.  The 4.50.6
and 4.70.6 firmwares enable the WPA2 feature.  AND Linksys was kind
enough to finally release WPA2 certified drivers for the WPC54GS NIC's
(and I am assuming the WPC54G) as well.  So if you haven't updated, you
may want to condsider doing so for the increased security.

Rob.