Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:47:16 -0400
From: Martin Roesch <roesch@...rcefire.com>
To: "Ferguson, Justin (IARC)" <FergusonJ@...doe.gov>
Cc: "'snort-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net'" <snort-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"'snort-users@...ts.sourceforge.net'" <snort-users@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"'bugtraq@...urityfocus.com'" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [Snort-users] Snort DoS Fallacies

I think your response can be safely classified as FUD as it is filled
with inaccuracies and serves only to cast doubt on the code, the
ability of the development team and (strangely) the quality of
Sourcefire's products.  Let me just net it out:

Q1) This is a replay of the milw0rm TCP Option processing DoS.
A1) Wrong, this is a different issue

Q2) How did this make it back into the codebase?
A2) It didn't, your research was incorrect.

Q3) Does this problem affect Sourcefire as well?
A3) No, Sourcefire appliances are configured for robustness and
performance, we don't use ASCII mode logging or alerting ever for any
reason from the Snort engines on our products.

Q4) If the rest of the code doesn't have this vulnerability why were
the additional NULL pointer checks added?
A4) Safe coding practices, Steve Sturges thought that it wouldn't be
a bad idea to put those checks in there and I agreed.  I'm 100% sure
they aren't vulnerable because I actually tested it.  Personally I
don't like all those memcpy()'s in that function and when I (or
someone here) get the time I'd like to go back and change how that
function works.

Q5) Frag3 has the problem in the snapshot I downloaded, why won't you
admit it?
A5) Because you're wrong.  The snapshot you're referring to has the
fixes in PrintTcpOptions(), so even with the call to PrintIPPkt() in
there the DoS doesn't work.  Version 2.4.0 did not have the code you
are referring to.

This is the code checked out of cvs.snort.org from last night.

    3050 #ifdef DEBUG_FRAG3
    3051     /*
    3052      * Note, that this won't print out the IP Options or any
other
    3053      * data that is established when the packet is decoded.
    3054      */
    3055     if (DEBUG_FRAG & GetDebugLevel())
    3056     {
    3057         ClearDumpBuf();
    3058         printf("++++++++++++++++++Frag3 DEFRAG'd PACKET++++++
++++++++\n");
    3059         PrintIPPkt(stdout, defrag_pkt->iph->ip_proto,
defrag_pkt);
    3060         printf("++++++++++++++++++Frag3 DEFRAG'd PACKET++++++
++++++++\n");
    3061         ClearDumpBuf();
    3062     }
    3063 #endif
    3064     ProcessPacket(NULL, defrag_pkt->pkth, defrag_pkt->pkt, ft);
    3065
    3066     DEBUG_WRAP(DebugMessage(DEBUG_FRAG,
    3067                 "Done with rebuilt packet, marking rebuilt...
\n"););
    3068
    3069     ft->frag_flags = ft->frag_flags | FRAG_REBUILT;
    3070 }
    3071

Here's the code from the 2.4.0 stable release tarball on snort.org:

    2595 #ifdef DEBUG_FRAG3
    2596     /*
    2597      * Note, that this won't print out the IP Options or any
other
    2598      * data that is established when the packet is decoded.
    2599      */
    2600     if (DEBUG_FRAG & GetDebugLevel())
    2601     {
    2602         ClearDumpBuf();
    2603         printf("++++++++++++++++++Frag3 DEFRAG'd PACKET++++++
++++++++\n");
    2604         PrintIPPkt(stdout, defrag_pkt->iph->ip_proto,
defrag_pkt);
    2605         printf("++++++++++++++++++Frag3 DEFRAG'd PACKET++++++
++++++++\n");
    2606         ClearDumpBuf();
    2607     }
    2608 #endif
    2609     ProcessPacket(NULL, defrag_pkt->pkth, defrag_pkt->pkt, ft);
    2610
    2611     DEBUG_WRAP(DebugMessage(DEBUG_FRAG,
    2612                 "Done with rebuilt packet, marking rebuilt...
\n"););
    2613
    2614     ft->frag_flags = ft->frag_flags | FRAG_REBUILT;
    2615 }

Note that the code in question isn't in there in either version.  It
looks to me like some debug code snuck into the snapshot, we'll have
to update that.

Q6) Blackboxing/fuzzing "are of little value", why did you use that
method?
A6) I tested every possible input to the system (a simple test since
we're dealing only with  two 8-bit values in the test matrix) by
modifying the PoC and generating all the potential value pairs.  This
method clearly showed the DoS condition for option 5 with length 2
and that it did not occur under any other input set.  I would
consider this a valid test for the purposes of analyzing this code
path and vulnerability.

Q7) "And your team, the vendor missed all of the above on your first
*two* passes through, once in Dec 2004, and once in Aug/Sep 2005,
does this mean what you've said and/or done is without merit as well?"
A7) You are incorrect, these were two different issues and you are
confusing them.  The merits of our analysis is obvious because it is
independently verifiable as being correct.

Q8) How can you say I was wrong about the "-A fast" switch when the
DoS can effect fast output mode?
A8) Because your analysis was incorrect, the conditions under which
the DoS could be manifested was different than your assertion.  There
is a DoS condition for manually configured fast mode with a specific
argument only.

Q9) Why did you keep the ASCII logging problem "quiet"?
A9) If you're running ASCII logging mode you are now subject to two
DoS conditions, I don't consider the risk of one to be greater than
the other because inode exhaustion can happen far before a disk is
actually full.

Q10) I have no proof that other TCP options can't cause this
condition, how can I trust your analysis?
A10) I actually setup an instrumented, repeatable test and proved
it.  The test is easily recreated by grabbing the POC code from the
net and applying the attached patch.

Q11) "Did you not at least get dejavu from 2004?"
A11) I did for about 2 seconds, but then I realized it was a
different issue when I actually did some empirical testing and
research/debugging.  If you had actually looked at the code and
understood what you were looking at you would have seen that too.
The issue from 2004 was an off-by-one error in an array index that
could manifest if the TCP option decoder bailed out early.  This was
a problem  with a NULL pointer dereference from a specific option
setting as a side effect of the way the validation routine works.

Q12) "You do not find it odd at all, that you say 'no one should be
doing xyz on production sensors anyways', and then you suggest that
they run CVS code on production sensors?  Which one do you think will
result in problems first?"
A12) Knowing the exact scope of the changes in the logging code, I
think that patching in a new log.c file from CVS is a safe course of
action, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it.  It's not bad
advice because people can trivially look at the diffs from CVS and
see what changed.

Q13) Justin Ferguson made a patch against 2.3.3 that fixes this
problem, should I use it?
A13) I would not under any circumstances move back to 2.3.3 or use a
patch from an untrusted 3rd party in a production sensor, there were
many bug fixes and new features incorporated in 2.4.0 and reverting
to an old version is a step in the wrong direction.  It is far safer
and advisable to use the log.c in CVS or wait for the 2.4.1 release
if you're not running fast/full alerting or ASCII logging.

      -Marty

Download attachment "tcpoptdos-mod.diff" of type "application/octet-stream" (1979 bytes)

Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend.
roesch@...rcefire.com - http://www.sourcefire.com

Download attachment "PGP.sig" of type "application/pgp-signature" (187 bytes)