Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:01:27 +0000
From: "alex cottle" <eddie5659@...mail.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Norton Unerase - Need Contact

Hiya

Read these all the time, and decided to post at last :o)

Thing is, its a well known flaw with Norton Unerase, and Norton don't have a
fix yet. However, a user in a forum has been having this exact same problem,
and we may have resolved it. However, I've tried to contact Norton but no
reply from 2 months ago, so may have the wrong email address.

So, I'll post what we've done, and hopefully someone from Norton is
watching, and can prove this works or not:

Regarding this document:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d142a6588256d87006b22be/8e1d3cad4e49af6a85256c370048ada8?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

A user had problems with this, and as the above document is unresolved, we
started working on it:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=391275

if you can't see or look at that link, this is what we found out, so maybe
it will help:

For the Norton error, this is what was listed under the Application log
(WinXP, SP2, fresh install):

"Faulting application NPROTECT.EXE, version 16.0.0.22, faulting module
ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001a47d".

Category shows(100).Event ID shows 1000.

Copies of ntdll.dll:

ntdll.dll c:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
ntdll.dll.000 c:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
ntdll.dll c:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallQ815021$
NTDLL.DLL c:\WINDOWS\I386
ntdll.dll c:\WINDOWS\system32
NTDLL.DLL c:\WINDOWS\I386\SYSTEM32
ntdll.dll c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

-----------

However, this is how he seemed to have resolved the issue in question:

"My drives are partitioned "C" & "D". I ran a search on Recycler for both
drives after unhiding all hidden files, folders etc and discovered a folder
named NPROTECT in each drive and two folders with identical names
S-1-5-21-1163395192-2704639424-2437969446-1004 in each drive containing the
recycle bin files. Somehow or another these folders had duplicated and all
the recycle bin files were also duplicated. I tried deleting one of the
duplicate folders and files in each drive but kept getting an error message
preventing me from doing so. I then tried deleting the other identical
folder in each drive and had success with that. I then went back to the
folder I couldn't delete and deleted the files with this folder. This worked
and immediately freed up space in my "D" drive. Not sure whether this was
going to be the final solution to the problem so I did a defrag on both
drives, a scan and clean up and since then everything seems to be working
fine - no more error messages, the recycle is working OK and I'm able to
delete as when I want."

I hope this can offer some light on the subject, as we're hoping there is a
solution to this problem, in case others have the same.

Kind Regards

eddie