Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:15:38 -0600 (CST)
From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl@....org>
To: Jason Coombs <jasonc@...ence.org>
Cc: Bugtraq <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	computerforensics@...ensicfocus.com, 'Samuel Norris' <liusiguang@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Guidance Software Customer Database Hacked?

Jason,

	While I agree that Guidance's products suck (I have converted a fair
number of people and agencies to Access Data's FTK product), that's a
totally separate issue from your multi-topic tirade.

	So, lets address these sequentially:

(1) Yes, it is widely believed that they lost control of their database
(couldn't have happened at a worse time either - their product line is
losing ground every day, and now their corporate security posture is shown
to be as fragile as their software! ROFL!);

(2) Greed?  They are ALL driven by greed Jason.  That's what companies
*do*!

(3) Yes, they only care that their products sell.  Again, thats what
companies are formed for.  Yes, they succeeded for several years in
convincing LEAs that theirs was the only thing that existed.  Thats
rapidly changing.

(4) The wrongful convictions you're talking about are from many things:
incompetent examiners, improper proceedings, (yes, we could go on and on
and on here).  It's interesting to note that the [clearly improper use of
computer forensic evidence] can be described as specific to individual
Courts.  For instance, in the 8th Ct., such misuse is very rare, while
over in California-ville, it's an everyday event.  Eventually, the
Supremes need to look at this and clamp down.  Until then, we all better
hope that we're in a place that really knows which way is up!

(5) There IS a "Death Penalty" for Corporations: revocation of their State
Charter.  Anyone can start the process: get going!

Loveya!

//Alif

(Yes, I am a forensic examiner.  Yes, I do defense work.  Yes, Jason is
almost always right on this stuff, but he's starting to get a little
frayed at the edges...)

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@....org
0xBD4A95BF

	Just once, can't we have a nice polite discussion about
	the logistics and planning side of large criminal enterprise?

	- Steve Thompson