Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:22:48 +0000
From: Gavin Conway <gavin@...olutions.co.uk>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: what we REALLY learned from WMF

Gadi Evron wrote:
> What we really learn from this all WMF "thingie", is that when Microsoft
> wants to, it can.
>
> Microsoft released the WMF patch ahead of schedule
> ( http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/181 )
>
> Yep, THEY released the PATCH ahead of schedule.
>
> What does that teach us?
>
> There are a few options:
> 1. When Microsoft wants to, it can.
>
> There was obviously pressure with this 0day, still — most damage out
> there from vulnerabilities is done AFTER Microsoft releases the patch
> and the vulnerability becomes public.
>
> 2. Microsoft decided to jump through a few QA tests this time, and
> release a patch.
>
> Why should they be releasing BETA patches?
> If they do, maybe they should release BETA patches more often, let those
> who want to - use them. It can probably also shorten the testing period
> considerably.
> If this patch is not BETA, but things did just /happen/ to progress more
> swiftly.. than maybe we should re-visit option #1 above.

> Maybe it’s just that we are used to sluggishness. Perhaps it is time we,
> as users and clients, started DEMANDING of Microsoft to push things up a
> notch.

> Put in the necessary resources, and release patches within days of first
> discovery. I’m willing to live with weeks and months in comparison to
> the year+ that we have seen sometimes. Naturally some problems take
> longer to fix, but you get my drift.
>
> It’s just like with false positives… as an industry we are now used to
> them. We don’t treat them as bugs, we treat them as an “acceptable level
> of”, as I heard Aviram mention a few times.

> The rest is in my blog entry on the subject:
> http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/182
>
>     Gadi.

Although I agree with a lot of what you have said I do feel that this is
a rather shameless way to start what is undoubtedly to become a
'flame-war' and to pimp your own website. Please try to keep bugtraq on
target by posting bug related items.

Kind Regards,

Gavin COnway

--
UKS Ltd, Birmingham Road, Studley, Warwickshire, B80 7BG
Tel: 08700 681 333  -  Fax: 01527 851 301  -  AS: 20547