Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:35:48 -0500
From: dave <fla.linux@...il.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

Marcus,

You use the analogy of trespassing to describe unauthorized access to a
computer system or it's resources. I agree with you but I think a point
was missed...

The laws being passed today against *cyber crime* far exceed the basic
property laws. If someone gains access to a system he does not have
permission to access yes he has broken a law. But the punishment should
fit the crime. To use your analogy: If I wandered into your field and I
was caught and prosecuted I would face charges for basic trespassing...I
would pay a fine and go about my business. If I was a repeat offender I
might do 30 days. Let's say I cut a small hole in the fence so I could
easily return (that pond of your has some great fish!) I would also be
made to pay for the fence to be repaired etc... Now, If I cracked your
server and poked around a bit (yea...in the wee hours of the morning)
let's say I even set up a small backdoor so I could return again...If
prosecuted what kind of punishment should I receive? Would you be
content if i payed the court a 150 dollar fine? Also, can this act be
classified as *cyber terrorism*? Too many this seems to be the direction
the government will and is taking...even towards minor criminal offenses
such as simple trespassing.

I think what the poster was saying is this, "If a teenager could face
possible *cyber terrorism* (or any serious felony) charges for trying to
break into computer networks simple to learn then things have gone too
far". Yes it is wrong and unethical but there is a ring of truth to his
thought process (even if his post was ridiculous overall)...hey you
might not care of the intentions of the trespasser but I do! To me there
is a big difference between someone cracking my server to look around
and more or less do nothing and someone looking to set up a warez site
or use my server to host a phishing scam etc...

Unauthorized access is unauthorized access and is never ok from a
legitimate security (white hat) point of view. But whether or not the
intruder had malicious intentions should weigh in too. I do NOT think it
is ok to *cross the line*. But in the past I have played a prank or two
that could probably be refered to as *crossing the line* but I am
certainly no criminal.

just my two cents...