Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:51:42 -0800
From: Lance James <bugtraq@...urescience.net>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: First WMF mass mailer ItW (phishing Trojan)

Lance James wrote:
> Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> The first worm (mass mailer) to (ab)use the WMF 0day is now spreading in
>> Australia.

Also to quickly reply to my own post (sorry) - but a quick historical analysis of the exploit and trojan itself demonstrates this:

Bulk Mailing via a mass-mailer was sent out (basically a phishing email) to lure victims to click on a link with:

http://[censored]/xpl.wmf

This will then make a request to http://[censored]/1.exe which is downloader packed with FSG. Bleeding Snort sigs would detect this immediately from both the WMF and the FSG packing itself. (http://www.bleedingsnort.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/sigs/MALWARE/MALWARE_Corpsespyware?rev=1.7&view=markup)

1.exe will then download installer.exe from the site. This file in short puts the trojan on the system as %system32%\msnscps.dll and registers it as a Browser Helper Object. (this DLL file is packed with UPX). It names it in the Add-Ins extensions as:

Software Installation Snapin Extenstion (typo included)

There is no sign of mass-mailing within the trojan itself, it's a standard Remote Admin Tool used to steal data. The format which is stored in %system32%/form.txt looks like this when you log into submission forms:

CompID: 8746B936FCAF484AA9D2D49B60EBD47B1B945D4B00874879853470B023A0B9C3

Ver: 2.0RC49

host: sandbox-1

if1 : 172.16.234.128

Sun Feb 19 18:55:05 2006

Action: https://banksite.com/signon

Method: post

userid(text): 234234234234

password(password): 23423423423

destination(select): AccountSummary [checked]

Action: /search/search.html

Method: get

query(text):

REQ: userid=234234234234&password=23423423423&destination=AccountSummary&screenid=SIGNON

It also has some TAN Grabbing Features, Email account theft, and so on.

This data will get sent to a remote HTTP host (in this case it appears to be http://european-business-organization.com/chat.php)

This is the standard ol' blended threat attacks seen by phishers since '03. They used the WMF exploit because it's available to them, but before that they have used hta, chm/adb, and other object/ActiveX exploits to get the user into downloading the payload.

This information and type of attack is old school, and no mass-mailing worms or 0day WMF techniques were used.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Lance James