Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:30:35 -0500
From: Ed Wiget <ewiget@...studios.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: how to crash apache/php in cpanel

I am really not sure if this is a cpanel, php, or apache problem but will let
others find out.  This is the entire reason I am supplying this
information....

In a recent post concerning a mambo error message:
Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used after
'URL-Rewriter' in /home/xxx/public_html/xxx/includes/mambo.php on line 2771

http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=70555

There was a recommended fix by a 3rd party that contains this code:

original:
if ( extension_loaded('zlib') ) {
ob_start( 'ob_gzhandler' );
return;

Changing this to:
if ( extension_loaded('xzlib') ) {
ob_start( 'ob_gzhandler' );
return;

Of course this doesn't solve the underlying problem which simply requires
turning off gzip compression in mambo or turning off zlib compression when
using the one in mambo....but it does have a pretty weird effect if you try
it.

Applying this change to a cpanel web site will cause the web site to stop
responding for all php web sites on the server.  Changing the line of code
back to the original does not help for that specific web site.  I don't have
root access to the server to find out what crashed or to restart the
services, or to even take a further look at it.....

Looking at services through the cpanel account shows httpd failed as soon as
the page is loaded but other static content on the web server for other
domains was working fine.

Server Specs:
Operating system  	FreeBSD
Kernel version 	4.7-RELEASE
Machine Type 	i386
Apache version 	1.3.31 (Unix)
PERL version 	5.8.2
PHP version 	4.3.4
MySQL version 	4.0.13
cPanel Build 	10.8.1-CURRENT 112

Here is another post I made concerning this issue (the last line of this
post):
http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?p=335376#post335376

I never notified anyone, because this is really incomplete, I don't have the
resources to take this further, and I wouldn't know who to notify at this
point.

--
Ed Wiget

"I'd crawl over a million acres of 'Visual This++' and 'Integrated
Development That' to get to gcc, Emacs, and gdb"