Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:36:21 -0600
From: "Benson, Sean M" <BensonS@...te.gov>
To: "Anthony Cicalla" <Anthony.Cicalla@...kServ.com>,
	<self-destruction@...best.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

You know, This may be a little hard to follow but I think I can tie it
together with piracy.

 A lot of persons commenting mentioned the lack of skill due to the
legal ramifications of "practice".
So you have persons with actual skill in penetration and then those
without due to the legal rules in place where you live.

I work outside the U.S. and can pick up any flavor of server OS in the
street for pennies.
I can also purchase Database programs, graphic editors, and most every
software suite for a couple o' bucks.

Take an average 18 year old aspiring geek.
If, I'm.. say living in India, Russia, or really anywhere outside of the
U.S./E.U.
I can go down the corner, purchase, and get actual time working with,
for example, Microshaft Visual Studio XX @ for $2.00.
So, I'm 18 and I've got 4 years experience working with the suite.

If I'm in Ohio, I have to pony up for it myself, (expensive), wait until
I'm hired to work with that software, (with no experience), or learn on
the warez version and take the risk of getting busted.

How does the kid from Ohio compete? He does so unevenly.

There needs to be a comparatively even playing field for competition in
the world arena. Or we shouldn't play.
It's a butt-kicking contest and we are the only team not allowed to wear
shoes.

If I live in Russia, it's bad to hack, but chances are, If I don't make
Pravda, I won't get into too much trouble.
In the U.S. they are trying to equate screwing with someone's php page
and adding "| Ru|3" with detonating a car bomb.

That sounds fair.
Geesh.