Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:48:41 -0800
From: Lance James <bugtraq@...urescience.net>
To: Ken Kousky <kkousky@...inc.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: First WMF mass mailer ItW (phishing Trojan) -
	think singularities

I don't disagree with you one bit - I was simply making a similar point,
they are fly below the radar, with that intent.

But there are ways to make pre-emptive signatures based on tracking
certain phishing/spam/porn rings and noting their serial pattern. This
is how you detect "below the radar" attacks. This isn't for prevention,
but detection only. I don't agree with signatures as a reactive response
to most problems, rather I believe in problem response as a whole.

These class of attacks have been definitely observed since the
Korgo/Padonock days and have been going nice and steady for these rings
quite frequently. The time to discovery by AV vendors that we have
observed has been from 2 weeks, all the way to 9 months. Low
distribution, low detection and it allows for rapid deployment. And
slight modifications in variants at such rapid deployment tends to cause
problems for AV vendors in general.

I think to sum it up, we're on the same page - the snort sigs that were
avail were designed to look at trojans such as these in a general
problem response by examing the way they are packed, rather than just
the specific malware.

-Lance James