Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:34:56 +1100
From: "Craig Wright" <cwright@...syd.com.au>
To: "dave" <fla.linux@...il.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

Hello,

First on the trespass angle. In reality this would equate to more of a
break and enter violation. The UK and EU laws in this respect have a
good grounding in fitting the sentence to the crime. The range is based
on the resultant effect.

In the UK, the Computer Misuse Act 1990 (c.18) has a variant scale from
6months and/or fine to 5 years and/or fine. This allows for a range of
punishments from a suspended sentence to gaol.

Canada in the "Criminal Code (RS 1985, c. C-46), Part XI: Wilful and
Forbidden Acts in respect of Certain Property" Mischief in relation to
data (s. 430(1.1)) uses a sliding scale from 2 years max imprisonment
and/or fine to life where the action causes actual danger to life. Again
this is not fixed. This offers judicial review and possible leeway in
exceptional cases.

Many of the acts also require that ACTUS NON FACIT REUM, NISI MENS SIT
REA (The act itself does not constitute guilt unless done with a guilty
intent) to be in effect. In effect there are defences against either
severity or the charge in many cases.

Many of the so called valid acts mentioned however mirror "real world"
crimes in a number of ways. As an example, an attacker going to a site
owner and stating they have probed the site and found a number of
vulnerabilities. That they will tell the site owner what they are for a
fee breaks several non-online rules of law.

First, many jurisdictions have a requirement to give aide. There is no
defence to a charge of "failure to provide assistance" in I offered for
a price but they would not pay.

Next there is a general expectation of property rights in most of the
western world that is well defined and understood. In many places (eg
some of Canada) a large number of people still leave their  doors
unlocked. This is their right. By going into the from door and looking
around the house you are violating the property rights of the owner of
the property. This can get you several years in gaol.

IGNORANTIA JURIS NEMINEM EXCUSAT (Ignorance of the law excuses no one).

Not understanding the law in general is no excuse to apply this to the
online world.

Regards
Craig