Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:58:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Dana Hudes <dhudes@...es.org>
To: 499nag <499nag@...net.pt>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Quarantine your infected users spreading malware

Even done in the most well-meaning manner this is still computer trespass
unless it is permitted by the subscriber agreement for an ISP and done by
that ISPs staff.

I am all in favor of reducing newbie zombies. the only way I can see to do
so is to get the user to consent to the upgrade. Microsoft has some role
in this by making automatic updates enabled by default.
Blacklisting such infected machines until they are cleaned up is one
approach but if they are using dynamically assigned address they disappear
and reappear on another address. Meanwhile a legitimate user on another,
clean and secured, machine connects and gets that banned IP address.

clearly the ISP knows who is infected and who is not. Notifying those
people is a real problem given the amount of phishing and viruses claiming
to be a notice from your ISP (and rather stupidly not trying to figure out
who your ISP really is). The model for notification is that used by credit
card companies. They call you up and tell you to call customer service
about some charges. this assures you are in fact talking to whom you
think and they of course identify you.