Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:17:58 +0100
From: exon <exon@...e.se>
To: Hans Wolters <php@...all.nl>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Invision Power Board v2.1.4 - session hijacking

Please don't take this discussion off-list. You need to hit the "Reply
to all" button in your Mozilla mailer.

Hans Wolters wrote:
>>Hans Wolters wrote:
>>
>>>Matt,
>

>>But you still need to see the session-id to be able to hijack the
>>session, and for that you need to see someones desktop.
>

> Once you can trigger someone to visit another site where you can tail
> the logfiles you have the session id in some cases.

But if there aren't any such vulnerabilities (that are known) in the
current powerboard code this isn't a bugreport at all. You're simply
stating the vector for a sometime-in-the-future attack exploiting a yet
unknown vulnerability, which is a  waste of time since anybody with half
a brain can figure it out anyway.

>>If, on the other
>>hand, you can guess session-id's in a reasonable timeframe (incremental
>>ID's, for example) and you don't care which session you steal then this
>>might be a real vulnerability, except that it also uses originating IP,
>>which you can't know if you're guessing the session id.
>

> It's not guessing...

Until you find the bug where you can post the session-id somewhere where
you can get your hands on it you're reduced to guessing.

>>This is not so different from phishing scams. If you can get someone to
>>enter his/her username and password on your site you'll own their
>>account too.
>>
>>If Powerboard can be duped into including the session-id in a link to
>>some other site then it is a real vulnerability.
>

> Like I stated before. Once you can insert js in the board that will visit
> another site then he does have a problem if transparent sessions are being
> used.

Prove that "once" is now and you have a valid bug-report. Otherwise this
is just noise.

>>>As for hiding the session id, in certain situations it will keep
>>>showing up not matter what you do. Popups, javascript, etc.. You must
>>>be absolutely sure this will not take place.
>>
>>I think that's what he meant by "hiding the session-id".
>

> The board has been having issues with XSS, he can't be sure this isn't
> possible in future versions.

So? Apache has had pretty much every sort of exploitable vulnerability
possible to create with a web-server written in C (which is quite a
few). There's no guarantee it won't happen again, but there aren't any
known bugs now, so we don't file bug-reports against it.

>>>One last thing, you might be right when you state that I do not know
>>>how the board works, however, I do not need to know since the session
>>>hijacking itself reveals how it works, you are not checking enough in
>>>certain situations.
>

>>What do you suggest more to check? session-id and originating IP are the
>>only two variables available for authentication, unless you send the
>>username and password every time (http BasicAuth).
>

> There has been a lot of discussion about this. It could be partly done by
> generating a new session id right after validating the excisting one. This
> would at least save the boards problem.

If we want to be really paranoid we'd only access it over stateful
connections encrypted with AES-2048 in CBC-mode with PKE-authentication.
The question is where to draw the line. It's a stupid forum thing. Not
an online banking app.

/exon