Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:06:01 +0900
From: Moriyoshi Koizumi <moriyoshi@...wakwak.com>
To: Jasper Bryant-Greene <jasper@...um.co.nz>
Cc: Tõnu Samuel <tonu@....ee>, Stefan Esser <sesser@....net>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Critical PHP bug - act ASAP if you are running
	web with sensitive data

Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:

> Tõnu Samuel wrote:
>

>> Nice! I was really nervous already as I got bombed with e-mails and I
>> really did not  knew much more than was discovered. Meanwhile I am
>> bit disappointed that we had nearly month such a bug in wild and
>> software distributors like SuSE in my case did not published patches.
>> I think as long enough time passed and I hope distributors maybe need
>> to see it - I publish exploit. Sorry, this was discovered
>> independently and for me it looks like very serious problem.
>>
>> Script is:
>> <?php
>>
>>   $foobar=html_entity_decode($_GET['foo']);
>>   echo $foobar;
>>
>> ?>
>

> I very much doubt there are many applications at all containing code
> like this. It is illogical to be decoding html entities from user
> input. Therefore I would not call this a "very serious problem" and
> certainly not a critical bug.

Not really. While this is not part of the HTML / HTTP standards, major
browsers
around try to send such characters in the user input as HTML entities
that cannot
all be represented in the encoding of the originating HTML page, it's
quite probable
the function is used to filter the query strings.

Moriyoshi