Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:01:38 -0700
From: "Derek Soeder" <dsoeder@...e.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotagedhosts-file lookup

Dave, great find!  Those lists you dug up are named DomainScreenList and
HostsScreenList in the symbols for DNSAPI; here they are for
reference...

DomainScreenList:

  windowsupdate.microsoft.com
  windowsupdate.com
  microsoftupdate.com
  download.microsoft.com
  update.microsoft.com

HostsScreenList:

  microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
  support.microsoft.com
  wustats.microsoft.com
  microsoftupdate.microsoft.com
  office.microsoft.com
  msdn.microsoft.com
  go.microsoft.com
  msn.com
  www.msn.com
  msdn.com
  www.msdn.com

A quick check suggests that this behavior debuted with XP SP2, and is
present on 2003 SP1 as well.  (I haven't looked at 2003 RTM, but it
would be interesting if someone please would.)  Although one could argue
that this measure is intended to thwart attempts to block updating
Microsoft products, it's indefensible because:

 1) It's a point-in-time, cat-and-mouse defense against an ephemeral
malware technique, a change that causes permanent headaches in
situations like yours, and the potential for negative publicity as a
result.

 2) As far as I know, their malicious software removal tool didn't exist
back when this behavior was created, so what good was keeping access to
Microsoft open going to do an infected system?  What good does it do to
install a patch for a vulnerability that's already been exploited onto
the computer of the archetypal "home user"?

 3) Although it falls in line with removing raw sockets and limiting
half-open TCP connections, making these Microsoft hosts and domain
unfilterable is even more egregious because of the implications you
mentioned, and because this behavior was never publicly documented.

 4) Their selectiveness seems unfair.  I'm sure all the
antivirus/antispyware companies whose domains regularly end up in
hosts-files would love to be added to the list, too.  (So would everyone
else whose software reports "anonymous usage statistics" and all the
other companies making money from web advertising.*)  Going back to #3,
it would have been more disruptive but less controversial if they had
removed regard for the hosts-file entirely, or made the resolver only
consult the hosts-file after all else failed, thereby preventing it from
being used for blocking.  It's not a great analogy, but this move is
sort of like if they had only blocked raw IP packets headed for a
Microsoft IP address, instead of raw sockets entirely.

Like those other XP SP2 changes mentioned above, there does not appear
to be a way to disable this hosts-file screening behavior through
configuration.

-- Derek

* At least msads.net wasn't hard-coded into the DLL, but why msn.com?