Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:46:17 -0500
From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans@...hnetsecurity.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: (addendum) redirection vuln crawlers breed & security through obscurity

A couple folks have emailed me now and pointed out that
I made this sound too trivial, which I probably did, so
let me add something more concrete:

Here's a simpler fuzzing example:

::Assumptions::

40 threads per machine
2 machines (split keyspace /2)
DS/3 (not bandwidth limited)
80 req/sec
288,000 req/hour

unknown target-->admin123.asp
We try 10 basic extensions (.pl, .asp, aspx, etc.)

8^37*10= 5.14227283 × 10^24 years

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=8+%5E+37+*+10+%2F+288000+%2F+8765+%2F+2&btnG=Search

So, not necessarily trivial, though in practice I find
I can optimize based upon observed naming conventions,
file system (e.g.-allowed char sets), etc. I again
recommend Shema's RSA presentations as highly relevant.

I did not add the obvious non technical risk scenario,
but one I think most of us have seen, which is like the
original posting where /admin is "hidden" under a:

/really/long/obscure/path/name/like/this.asp

Then when the business unit lays off their developers
and outsources webapp dev, you now have something like
25 developers * number of people they drink Guiness with,
whom all know the "secret obscure path" to /admin.
And anyone with read access to wwwlogs.

I'm sure there are many more scenarios than I can
envision, but the math/brute force one was the only
one I could think of to answer the original request
for "quantification".

Thanks for all the polite responses to my muddling!

YMMV,

-ae