Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:17:19 -0500
From: GulfTech Security Research <security@...ftech.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: support@...selscripts.com
Subject: Re: [Info Disclosure] Diesel PHP Job Site Latest Version

"All of the php developers that sell products online use this method"

Uh no, it doesn't work like that, sorry. If the original report is true
and you were receiving the private database passwords etc of your
customers then you are doing something that is negligent, deceiving, and
possibly breaking some laws.

I have worked for a large number of reputable software companies and
their "phone home" scripts usually work like this.

1) The bit that phones home is usually encoded with something like zend
accelerator or ion cube so that it is more difficult to tamper with.

2) When the script phones home it is usually with some sort of license
key, and sometimes includes your domain name and other minor details.

I have reviewed many proprietary code bases that use these phone home
methods, and all of the ones I have seen are harmless, and justified in
the data they are requesting. Never once have I seen a legitimate
application use phone home methods to send database credentials.

Would you please name for us one application that phones home with
credential information?

Kind Regards,

James