Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:46:41 +0200
From: "Amit Klein (AKsecurity)" <aksecurity@...pop.com>
To: k.huwig@...-ag.de, Paul <pvnick@...il.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Bypassing of web filters by using ASCII

On 21 Jun 2006 at 18:24, Paul wrote:

> Very interesting, indeed. Does this work with functional characters
> such as html brackets? What about html tag obfuscation (bypassing
> script filters such as those in place at hotmail)?

Notice that in order for this trick to work, the charset should be explicitly set to "US-
ASCII". The default charset for HTTP text/html messages is ISO-8859-1 (From RFC 2616,
section 3.7.1: 'When no explicit charset parameter is provided by the sender, media
subtypes of the "text" type are defined to have a default charset value of "ISO-8859-1"
when received via HTTP'), which does define the high-bit values in octets. In other words,
in order to successfully exploit this, the attacker needs to control the page/message
charset. This can be done through the Content-Type header (as demonstrated in the original
post's demo URL - notice that it sends the following response header: "Content-Type:
text/html;charset=US-ASCII") or (I believe) via the META tag (using the HTTP-EQUIV
attribute).
So in order to exploit this in HTML over HTTP, the attacker needs to either add/modify the
Content-Type response header, or to add/modify the META tag in the HTML page.

-Amit